Iberdrola USA Supervisor - Substation Operations (NYSEG 48887) Binghamton NY in Binghamton, New York
Business and Department
NYSEG-NY-Binghamton SC Vestal,NY
Scope of Work - Main duties, settings, geography, reporting relationships, other relationships:
Responsible for the supervision and planning of skilled workers in the Substation Operations department which includes personnel responsible for substation construction and maintenance and system protection and control. Directs and controls the safe construction, maintenance, and operation of transmission and distribution substations and is responsible for all division/district switching and tagging coordination. Oversees the installation, testing, and maintenance of all protective devices, control circuits, and supervisory equipment for electric and/or gas operations, if applicable. Ensures that work is completed in accordance with internal and industry standards following approved policies, procedures, safety rules, budgets and in a manner that promotes customer satisfaction.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Scope of work - range of responsibilities):
- Plans, schedules, assigns, and directs work of Substation Operations personnel and administers local department budgets. Plans and coordinates with related departments and oversees all substation related construction, modification and maintenance projects, including major capital, TDIRP, substation automation and minor capital substation projects. Responsible for transmission and bulk power delivery systems.
Prepares and implements reliability focused Preventative Maintenance programs for responsible departments in support of corporate reliability goals, Public Service Commission/Public Utility Commission targets, and NERC/NPCC Electric Reliability Organization (ERO) compliance standards, including the new "Bright Line"requirements for facilities rated 100kV and above. Responsible for customer satisfaction which may include substation reliability, system power quality and/or timely connection of all URD underground services. Coordinates maintenance and construction projects with Substation Operations personnel and other departments, andcontractors.
Coordination of activities, resources and support with the Substation Automation and Technical Support department, including distribution SCADA and substation automation projects.
- Become knowledgeable in the electric utility industry technological advancements including IEC 61850 protocol. Ensure that all personnel receive the necessary training to install, operate, maintain and test this equipment.
- Provides technical support to other departments, such as coordination for substation outage requests, oil spill cleanup, and problem investigation. Coordinates safe delivery and installation of mobile substations and other power equipment.
- Coordinates safety training and inspections, including completing documentation and conducting safety incident investigations. Trains personnel in theoretical and practical application of protection devices, control systems, electric switching and tagging, and other safety practices. Evaluates and documents employees' performance and progression and conducts or oversees the annual performance appraisal process. Responsibilities include labor relations contract administration and communications.
- Plays key role in local and/or IUSA Incident Command Structure for all storm and system emergencies, including standing weekly duty on a rotating schedule, where required.8. Directs Substation Operations’ and/or other department crews and provides solutions to emergency situations on an as-needed 24-hour basis, including storm restoration, system emergency resolution and support. Responds to after-hours calls, including standing weekly duty on a rotating schedule, where required.
- Supervises contract personnel engaged in construction, testing and operations of substation facilities and maintains the documentation of equipment configuration and operating instructions for future reference. Acts as division/district switching coordinator.
- Assists with substation work such as print-interpretation, troubleshooting, problem investigation, equipment testing, set-up and on-the-job training of Substation Operations UC&M; Mechanic and SP&C; Technician apprentices and other personnel.
Education & Experience Required:
Bachelors Degree with a minimum of 4 years relevant experience preferred. Associates Degree with a minimum of 7 years relevant experience or High School/GED with the completion of the relevant progression program and 10 years relevant experience required.
Knowledge of electrical or mechanical technology, electric substations and substation equipment, distribution equipment, control circuits, system protection and control devices, electronics, physics, digital electronics, electric power systems, meters, instruments, accounting, meter principles, drafting, blueprint reading and/or switching & tagging.
Knowledge of facility systems, electrical, HVAC, energy management and control systems is a plus.
Strong customer service focus.
Good verbal and written communications skills.
Self-directed work skills with strong emphasis on multitasking.
Strong supervisory, project management and computer skills applicable to (but not limited to) WMS, CMS, OMS,
SAP, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
Demonstrated supervisory and resource management skills.
Analytical and problem solving skills.
Results and proactive orientation.
Must be available outside of regularly scheduled hours to work storms, system emergencies, and/or to complete critical assignments.
AVANGRID is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. AVANGRID shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action toemploy and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. The Company is committed to a policy in all of its employment practices of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability, religion, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, or other protected status.
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 877-387-9061 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Company: New York State Electric & Gas (NYSEG)
Department: Substation Operations
Job Title: Supervisor – Substation Operations
Reports to: Manager – Substation Operations
Location: Binghamton, NY (NYSEG-NY-Binghamton Service Center)
Cross Company Responsibility: Yes
Publication date: 29.06.2017