WSKG Public Telecommunications Council Broadcast Engineer in Vestal, New York
This position is responsible for the maintenance and operation of the radio and television studio and transmitter facilities including terminal, computer, networks, administrative computing systems, STL equipment, and mechanical and electrical systems located at those facilities, as well as for the application of system analysis techniques and procedures to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications, and:
• Maintenance, repair, testing, and operation of all radio and TV broadcast production and distribution equipment.
• The design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing or modification of technical systems or programs, including prototypes, based on and related to user or system design specifications.
• Ensure the continued operation of all transmitters and translators, towers and satellite systems; travel to tower and transmitter field sites to perform maintenance and troubleshooting as needed.
• Ensure compliance with all FAA and FCC rules and regulations.
• Provide technical expertise and recommendations to meet or exceed broadcast performance criteria as established by the FCC, FAA, SMPTE, SBE, State of New York, and WSKG policy.
• Work with the public, cable TV companies, and agencies to provide information and general assistance with reception issues.
• Monitor broadcast and production systems and respond to technical problems and requests for system repairs.
• Provide support for modifications and upgrades to broadcast and production systems in collaboration with project managers and/or vendors.
• Maintain all technical areas in an organized and safe condition, including any transmitter sites, and workbench and testing facilities.
• Repair and documentation of systems as related to organizational computing/servers and the core network/systems that connect them to broadcast systems and other networks.
• Maintain and support traditional IT network infrastructure.
• Maintain and support corporate communications systems (Mail, File Sharing, phone systems).
• Purchase parts, order services as needed.
• Other duties and special projects as assigned.
• Associate’s degree in Engineering Technology, Computer Science, Broadcasting, or related field, or significant equivalent experience.
• Two years of experience working with broadcast equipment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and the ability to troubleshoot to the component level of all analog and digital electronic equipment, broadcast production, and transmission systems.
• Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field.
• Five years of engineering work experience in a broadcasting environment.
• SBE certification and/or FCC broadcast licensing.
• Experience with computer networks and networking protocols.
• Familiarity with radio/TV standards and knowledge of relevant emerging transmission protocols and technologies.
Interested candidates should send the following required documents: (1) resume; (2) cover letter, noting where this job announcement was found; and (3) contact information for three professional references.
Required documents may be e-mailed to Jobs@WSKG.org; or mailed to WSKG Public Media, Attn. Human Resources, 601 Gates Road, Suite 4, Vestal, New York, 13850. Applications received by August 2, 2017, will receive full consideration. Applications received after August 2nd may be considered if the position is not filled from the initial applicant pool.